‘Uitkering’ and Earning Extra

If you receive the ‘uitkering’, and you are offered a job, you will have to accept it. If you have earned money, you have to report it directly to your municipality. Why is this? And how much will your ‘uitkering’ be adapted? Read this page and get to know examples …

Someone wants to give me some money for an incidental service. For example because I helped him. Can I keep the money?

No. All money you receive, is income. You have to report everything at your municipality. This amount will be taken from your ‘uitkering’ in the next month. It is your own responsibility to do so. If you don’t do that, it may cause problems.

For example: if you receive 25 euro from someone for helping in the garden, you have to report it at your municipality and the next month you will receive 25,- less ‘uitkering’. Also if you sell your car, you have to report it.

I have to cooperate with the municipality and WerkBedrijf. What does that mean?

You have to show up at all appointments for which you are invited. Also you have to give the information they need. In this way you yourself cooperate actively and honestly in order to find work. This is the labour obligation.

If you do not do this, the municipality can lower your ‘uitkering’ or even end it. For example one month no uitkering if you did not show up at appointments. Are you not able to show up for a good an important reason? Then just call or send an e-mail to reschedule the appointment.

I want to do voluntary work. They pay me money back for costs I make and travel costs. Does this influence my ‘uitkering’?

Voluntary work is helping at an non-profit organisation, or non-commercial event. It contributes to society. If you start doing voluntary work and you receive money for it, you can keep the money up to 150,- per month and maximum 1500 euro per year (before it was 95,- per month, maximum 764 euro per year). You always have to tell the municipality when you do voluntary work.

Can I earn next to receiving the uitkering, and keep the money? Or do I have to hand in everything I earn back to the municipality?

You receive the money (uitkering) because you are not earning (enough) to take care of yourself. If you (partly) can, you need less money from the ‘uitkering’. Everyone who can work, has to work. If you receive the ‘uitkering’ and you partly work, sometimes you can keep a part of the money you have earned. We will show you a couple of examples.

I am 26 years old. Can I keep the money I earn on top of my ‘uitkering’?

No. Young people and young adults up to 27 years, have to try hard to study, our government believes. That is why only people who are 27 years or older can keep (part of) what they earn on top of the ‘uitkering’. Do you earn money? All you earn you will have to report at the municipality. One month later your ‘uitkering’ will be exactly lowered with that amount.

I am 28 years old and I would like to earn extra (with a legal contract). I do not have kids. How much of what I earn can I keep?

In this case you will be able to ‘keep’ 25% of the amount you earn, with a maximum of 200 euro per month in the next month. So 75% will be taken from your uitkering in the next month. This can happen only for 6 months, during the total period you will receive the ‘uitkering’.


Samer is single, has no kids and is 29. He receives the ‘uitkering’. He earns 500 euro per month through a contract, in construction. In total, Samer can keep 25% of this 500 euro. So his ‘uitkering’ will be cut with 375 euro. So his income will increase with 125 euro, for maximum 6 months during his entire period he needs the uitkering.

I am 27 (or older), single parent and care for a child below 12 years old. I have a work contract. Do the same rules apply on me?

If you:

  • are 27 years or older and;
  • are a single parent and;
  • taking care for a child below 12 years old

then the municipality withholds the first 6 months 75% of what you earn from your uitkering. These months do not have to be connected. You can keep up to a maximum of 200 euro per month on top of the ‘uitkering’.

More information about the ‘Uitkering’ and Changes’.